With Xinet version 2022.1.6 you have the option to create Nested/Hierarchical Data fields.
This article is to provide an overview of how to leverage this functionality which lets you:
- define fields dependent on each other
- control the visibility of a field based on the value of its parent field
- control the available values of a field, depending on the value of its parent field
When creating a new data field (DATABASE -> Data Fields -> new field), there are 2 new attributes:
1. Values depend on Data Field: here you specify the parent field on which the values of the child field depend.
2. Visibility depends on Data Field: here you specify the parent field on which the visibility of the child field depends.
A typical example of this is a Country-City parent-child relation, where the values of your City field depend on the value of your Country field.
3. Visibility Constraints section: Once you add your custom field, this new section shows up if you selected a field in the "Visibility depends on Data Field":
Here you can Show/Hide the child field, depending on the value of the parent field.
An example would be to hide the City field if the Country field says "Others"
4. Popup Values section:
You can see that there is a new option to define all the possible values of the child field for the different parent values.
An example would be to add Toronto and Montreal as city values for the country Canada.
5. Once you have this done you need to add the fields (both parent and child) to one of your templates (DATABASE -> Templates)
6. The very last step is to setup your Permissions Set (DATABASE -> Permission Sets)
you need to make sure to:
- Uncheck EDITABLE
- check POPUP
7. Click Save